Wednesday 4 April 2012

A-Z Challenge: D is for...Dracula Pop-Ups!

D is for...Dracula Pop-Ups!


Again, this entry has been backdated because I missed some days of the challenge, but regardless of that, today D is for...Dracula Pop-Ups! Although I wish I had random spooky haunted house hydraulic pop-up decorations around my house to show you, I don't. So instead, I bring you this adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic Gothic horror novel, 'Dracula', in the form of a graphic novel / pop-up book.  




Much to my delight, I received this book as a birthday present last year, along with a pop-up version of Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein' by the same company and another 'Dracula' pop-up book by a different publisher. This one is a collaboration between three people: Clare Bampton (story adaptation), Anthony Williams (illustrations) and David Hawcock (pop-ups).


Back view of the pop-up below
Having read the original novel and watched so many film adaptations that I've lost count (no pun intended), this one was quite a fun, visually impressive format for 'Dracula' to take. Both sides of the pop-ups are printed, so there's no white card on the back showing up to ruin the atmosphere, and they are also extremely intricate. In addition to the main pop-up in the centre of each double page spread, the side panels also fold out to reveal more of the narrative and numerous mini-pop-ups. 


The main downside to this book is that is simply isn't long enough to encompass the entire story properly and so only major plot points are included. It still makes sense as a whole, but it feels somewhat rushed and incomplete at times, which you don't get with serialised graphic novels, as they are far longer.



I think it would probably be better suited to older children or possibly even younger teens, as a precursor to reading the novel, rather than older teens and adults. Having said that, I still adore the elaborate pop-ups, and it's a fairly unusual and aesthetically pleasing addition to my horror collection! 




This post is part of the A-Z Blogging Challenge.

13 comments:

  1. My boyfriend has a horror/monster themed pop up book! I remember we found it in a book store clearance bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Bargain horror finds are always the best!

      Delete
  2. hi there! just dropping by from the A-Z> those are some wicked looking pop ups!
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book looks really cool! I'd love to have one for myself. I also love Dracula... well, horror in general. But this is the raddest thing I've seen in quite a while. Well done!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post. The Frankenstein one is done by the same people and is fantastic too!

      Your blog is wonderful by the way. So many new things to check out :)

      Delete
  4. I forgot all about pop-up books. Even though they're meant for kids, I think I'll give one away as a prize sometime on my blog. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Pop-up books are incredibly fun, even for adults lol

      Delete
  5. Pretty amazing books. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a pretty big challenge you've set yourself. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  6. Hubby and I were just discussing how we miss the old pop-up books we had as kids. These however would make a great gift for our teen. So much Win!

    *~ MAJK ~*
    Twitter @Safireblade
    A to Z Blog Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot packed into these books, that's for sure. Some of the pop-ups are nearly a foot high when fully expanded; it's amazing. If you do decide to buy them as a present for your teen, maybe you could sneak a look at them too ;)

      Delete
  7. The design of your blog reflects the subject matter perfectly. That's sometimes difficult to do! Hope you are enjoying the challenge...
    JarmDelBoccio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you~! Hope you're enjoying the challenge as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...