Monday 16 April 2012

A-Z Challenge: N is for...Nomskulls

N is for...Nomskulls

Nomskulls, made by Fred, are "kooky creepy" skull-shaped silicone cupcake molds and just happen to be the focus of today's A-Z post! My sister gave me a set of these last September, but I only got around to using them last night. According to the box you can:

"Knock 'em dead with these four stylish silicone skulls. Nomskulls are ready to fill with your favorite grey batter and bake into perfect cupcake craniums. One bite and you'll be head over heels, because there's no doubt about it - this skull bone's connected to the YUM bone!"


For some reason known only to my brain, I forgot that I was making skull-cakes and decided to make the mixture red. The molds are fairly huge but don't make too much batter, as they will overflow if you don't leave the top inch or so free. Of course, it depends entirely on what kind of mix you make and how much you expect it to rise though. 

So that's 3 brain-spills and 1 fancy hairstyle at the back...

However, despite the overflow setbacks, the good thing about the molds being silicone is that any spills come off really easily and the contained cupcake slides out equally as well when you're done.


Unfortunately, the inside of the mold is completely smooth (see photo above) except for the eye imprints, which means that the cakes will come out looking like zombies and aliens unless you decorate them. 


I'm fairly sure that they were intended to be served only inside the molds rather than out of them. It doesn't matter that much though, as the flat tops are there to be adorned with iced brains! 


If you do decide to take them out of the mold, you could try sugar skull-themed icing, zombies with eyeballs popping out, gas maks, Frankenstein's Monster...the list goes on. I think I'll experiment a little and make another post about the decoration when A-Z is over. (It might seem like I've caught up here, but the truth is I'm still missing J, K, L, and M.)

To be continued....in May

This post is part of the A-Z Blogging Challenge.




7 comments:

  1. that is really cool, i think...

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    A to Z Co-Host
    My New Book:
    Retro-Zombie: Art and Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's pretty cool. Perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this! Had to add your blog to my A.D.'s FAV 5 of the A to Z Challenge today!
    I am gonna have to get me a set!
    http://adduling.wordpress.com/

    Have a wonderful Tuesday!
    A.D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha!! These are soooo awesome. I'll have to look for some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic! I'm going to have to get myself a set. Brains!

    Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been eyeing these for a while and wondered about what it looked like out of the cup. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...