|Vampire's Day Soiree|
Hello dear devils and devious dolls! In honour of today being February 14th, HSL is taking part in the Vampire's Day Soiree, being run by Holly at Holly's Horrorland! So, instead of cheesy, sickly sweet, love-themed posts, you'll be getting some amazing, blood-drenched, vampire posts. Okay, so the posts here will probably be just as cheesy, but I'm sure some of the other participants will be able to give you something a little more sophisticated and refined ;) You'll find a list of the other participants and links to their blogs at the end of each Vampire's Day post here. That done with, on with the sanguinary fun!
Part 1: Vampire-themed Poems, Verses and Rhymes
A random selection of poems, verses and rhymes about blood-suckers.
Some are serious, some are silly, but all feature vampires and are relatively short.
My dear young maiden clingeth
Unbending, fast and firm
To all the long-held teaching
Of a mother ever true;
As in vampires unmortal 5
Folk on the Theyse's portal
Heyduck-like do believe.
But my Christine thou dost dally,
And wilt my loving parry
Till I myself avenging
To a vampire's health a-drinking
Him toast in pale tokay.
And as softly thou art sleeping
To thee shall I come creeping
And thy life's blood drain away.
And so shalt thou be trembling
For thus shall I be kissing
And death's threshold thou' it be crossing
With fear, in my cold arms.
And last shall I thee question
Compared to such instruction
What are a mother's charms?
- Heinrich August Ossenfelder
The Tale of the Hungry Vampire
Biting a neck isn’t all that much fun
It’s messy, it’s crude, and it leads to the shun-
ning of most folk
when you really crave Coke
And honey and cake
Fangs are a mistake
On chocolate I brood
I’m not in the mood
For more dark thick blood
Masquerading as food
- Brenda McKenna
|Illustration by Craig Smith|
The vampire said: "My name is mud
Because I have a taste for blood
And there are those who think I'm horrid
For nipping victims on the forehead.
But, on this matter I won't hedge.
What really sets my teeth on edge
And scares me even more than rabies
Are children biting jelly babies."
- Max Fatchen
Technically, the next one isn't about vampires, but...imagine that it is and it still makes sense :P
Come to Me
Come to me my little dearie,
Come to me my little child,
Do not sleep but lift your weary
Head and hark to me a while.
Look, my lovely, look, my treasure,
See, your granny's eyes grow dim.
This, dear, is no human pleasure -
Hold my hand, I'll take you in.
Can you see them, coldly waiting?
Drift and chill or breath and bone?
Dear, they move like silence skating
Past an icy, shivered moan.
Ah, my love, their red eyes brighten,
See, they like your sweet red cheeks...
The seem, you say, rather hungry?
Treasure, they've been starved for weeks!
Now they drift like smoke towards you,
Now they fasten to your skin,
Child, your manners, I should warn you,
No complaints when the teeth go in!
There now, it was all quite simple,
Over now, my deathless dear.
Sweet, your cheeks acquired a dimple,
Those fangs, now, what a charming sneer!
- Verity Laughton
You who, like the stab of a knife,
Entered my plaintive heart;
You who, strong as a herd
Of demons, came, ardent and adorned,
To make your bed and your domain
Of my humiliated mind
— Infamous bitch to whom I’m bound
Like the convict to his chain,
Like the stubborn gambler to the game,
Like the drunkard to his wine,
Like the maggots to the corpse,
— Accurst, accurst be you!
I begged the swift poniard
To gain for me my liberty,
I asked perfidious poison
To give aid to my cowardice.
Alas! both poison and the knife
Contemptuously said to me:
“You do not deserve to be freed
From your accursed slavery,
Fool! — if from her domination
Our efforts could deliver you,
Your kisses would resuscitate
The cadaver of your vampire!”
- Charles Baudelaire
If you're in a creative mood, feel free to comment with your own rhymes about the children of the night!
Others Participating in the Vampire's Day Soiree:
- Emma of Little Gothic Horrors
- Nicole of Artwork By Living Dead Girl Nicole
- Lorelei Bell of Lorelei's Muse
- Lady Bethezda of Bethezda's Preoccupations
- Justine of Justine's Halloween
- Jason of HalloweenOverkill
- Jeremy [Retro Zombie] of iZombieLover
- Althea of Blue Sky Gazing
- Jen of Zombies are Magic!
- Pensive Pumpkin of Pensive Pumpkin
- Greg of Rise and Fight
- Matt of Spooky Halloween Arts
- Dalestair Kidd of The Nightmares of Zodiac
- Sary Walrus of The Walrus Room
- Amy of Stripy Tights and Dark Delights
- Charlotte of Lady Charlotte's House of Delirium
- Alexandria Web of Queens of the Wild Frontier
- Annie Walls of Annie Walls
- Cayce of Fighting Dreamer
- Luna of Turkce Gotik
- Jessica of The Halloween Ladybug
- Sheridan of The Zombie Moshpit
- VictorianKitty of Sophistique Noir Gothic Fashion Blog
- Jo of Time Is Poisoned
- Niamh of Thoughts Of Smashed Doll
- S. L. Hennessy of Pensuasion
- Amber of The Aspiring Goth
- DuskRose of The Midnight Ballroom
- Carolin the HouseCat of Domesticated Goth
- Lynoire of Milking The Rolling Cow
- Angie of Lariats and Lavender
- Chris of The Toxic Void
- Mira of Detectives and Dragons
- Nightwind of The Gothic Embrace
- Alastair of App'y Talk